Monday, April 28, 2008

The Old Man is Snoring

I was walking to work this morning and was reminded of that childhood song you used to sing in the rain,

"It's raining it's pouring the old man in snoring, he went to bed with a bump on his head and he couldn't get up in the morning."

Okay so this is confusing to me in my adult mind. Going to bed with a bump on your head and not getting up in the morning to me means he died of a concussion. But the song starts off with him snoring...so he was alive when he went to bed, and where did this bump come from?!

I question the morbidness of this little song because I know certain nursery rhymes involve death such as "Ring around the Rosy...ashes ashes we all fall down."

Then I tried to think of some others,

"See saw knock on the door, who's there grandpa, where's your money in your pocket, where's your pocket in your pants, where's your pants, at home!"

What kind of mother would allow her children to sing a song that has a grandpa with no pants on?!

No comments: